top of page

1956 Land Rover S1 109 Diesel Prototype

The first and only LWB Land Rover diesel prototype £44,995



1956 Land Rover Series 1 109” diesel prototype. This is the only long-wheelbase diesel prototype known to have been made. First registered in October 1956, this diesel prototype was quite some time before the production run started in the summer of 1957. It is based on a Station Wagon chassis (which has been extended by 7") and given the chassis number 'LR109/1'. The prototype remained registered to the Rover Company Ltd, Solihull until 1957 when the prototype diesel engine was removed and a petrol engine installed, the change being recorded in the original buff logbook on 16th September 1957.


The Rover Company then later gifted the car to Gordonstoun School where it was used for a few years. Photographs on file depict the Prince of Wales (HRH King Charles III as he now is) and the late Queen Elizabeth II at the school, with what is believed to be 'VAC 266' in shot; at this time it was being used a fire tender on a Services display day. Other photographs within the car's history file depict 'VAC 266' being used at the school.


The prototype was then sold in 1974 by Gordonstoun school to a Mr. Coux (sales invoice within the history file). Subsequently the car was sold in an unrestored condition, to a collector in Surrey, who then carried out a painstaking restoration (related bills and photographs are on file). At this time, a diesel engine and gearbox of the correct type was installed from the LWB Landrover Chassis number 69. The restoration was completed in 1997 and the prototype is presented today in excellent restored condition. With extensive amounts of interesting history, this prototype Land Rover would grace any collection. £44,995 any inspection welcome.














Comentários


bottom of page